The Nigeria Union of Journalists has dismissed allegations of bias ahead of the Edo South Senatorial primary election scheduled for Monday, May 18, 2026, reaffirming its commitment to professional and balanced media coverage.
In a statement issued on Sunday, Chairman of the council, Festus Alenkhe, said the union was not aligned with any aspirant, political party, or political faction involved in the exercise.
According to him, the union’s primary concern remains the safety of journalists and the public’s access to accurate and credible information.
The NUJ stated that accredited journalists covering the primaries had been reminded of the ethical code guiding election coverage, including restrictions against accepting gifts from aspirants, displaying political affiliations while on duty, and publishing unverified claims as facts.
The council warned that any member found violating the code of conduct would face disciplinary measures in line with the NUJ constitution.
Alenkhe also disclosed that the council has a three-member Ethics and Disciplinary Panel responsible for investigating complaints relating to alleged bias or unethical conduct by journalists.
He said no verified case of partisan reporting involving accredited NUJ members had so far been established, urging members of the public to disregard what he described as unfounded social media allegations aimed at discrediting the profession.
The NUJ further directed journalists covering the primaries to ensure all parties are given fair representation, focus on verifiable facts, and promptly correct any errors identified in their reports.
The union reaffirmed its commitment to responsible journalism and pledged to continue protecting journalists who carry out their duties professionally while sanctioning members who breach ethical standards.