A tense security scare unfolded near the White House on Saturday evening after Secret Service officers fatally shot an armed suspect who allegedly opened fire near a security checkpoint.
According to the Secret Service, the incident occurred shortly before 6 p.m. ET when a man approached a checkpoint outside the White House complex and began shooting at officers. Agents immediately returned fire, striking the suspect, who later died at a nearby hospital.
Authorities also confirmed that a bystander was critically injured during the exchange of gunfire. Investigators are still working to determine whether the individual was hit by bullets fired by the suspect or during the return fire from officers.
The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to law enforcement sources. Officials said Best had previous encounters with the Secret Service, including a 2025 incident in which he allegedly blocked an entry lane at the White House and claimed he was “God.” He was later detained and taken for psychiatric evaluation.
President Donald Trump, who was inside the White House residence at the time, was not harmed. A White House official confirmed that the president had been briefed on the incident.
The gunfire triggered an immediate lockdown across the White House complex, forcing journalists and staff members to shelter inside the briefing room for nearly 40 minutes as armed Secret Service agents secured the area.
CNN reporters at the scene said they heard what sounded like dozens of gunshots as agents armed with rifles rushed across the North Lawn. The lockdown was eventually lifted shortly after 6:45 p.m. ET.
The incident came just weeks after another security breach near the White House during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, when an armed suspect allegedly exchanged gunfire with Secret Service agents.
Federal authorities, including the FBI, are continuing investigations into Saturday’s shooting.
Credit:CNN